Saturday, February 25, 2012

"Ham Surprise"

This is a recipe that has been with me since high school.  It is so non-traditional I hesitate to post it, but I will anyway.  The non-traditional part is funny because I learned this in high school -- I think it was social studies -- we did some sort of ethnic dish sharing/party thing.  Someone bought "Chinese rice" which I recognized to be white rice with green peas, ham, egg bits and soy sauce.  I used to make this for myself in single days -- easy, relatively cheap.  I've since added different things to it.

So I'm going to share this.  The low carbers can leave out the rice.  If you don't like ham, you can use chicken or other meat or tofu I suppose.  All ingredients are optional, and sorry, no pics.

Ingredients:
  • Rice:  My favorite these days is Trader Joe's white basmati rice
  • About 1 lb ham:  I buy a prepackaged steak, or in a pinch have the deli make me a thick slice or two. 
  • 3-4 eggs, more if you like eggs and/or don't like meat
  • 1 can each: sliced water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, baby corn
  • Fresh snap peas and sprouts
  • Butter
  • Soy Sauce:   I like San J Gluten Free Tamari.
Prep:
  • Drain canned veggies and dump into a container that has a good seal.  Add a liberal amount of "soy sauce".  Do this a couple hours ahead of time, seal the container, and  flip upside down periodically  so they all get soyed.
  • Start rice cooking*  (I do this now so it's hot and ready when everything else is)
  • Slice ham into strips (or cubes if you prefer),  I like them ~1/4"x1/2".  Fry the ham to brown.  Set aside.   
  • Scramble eggs and fry up scrambles.  Set aside.  
  • Throw the canned veggies and snap pea pods and sprouts into a HOT pan with the liquid.  This will steam the raw veggies and warm the canned ones.  
  • Add ham & eggs and mix
Serve:   I like to just mix everything and serve like a fried rice.  My husband prefers  the above mixture over buttered rice.  

I won't lie to you, this isn't Chinese fried rice, but it's quick, yummy and not at all a bad alternative if I should say so myself!  It can be pretty LC w/o the rice, low fat if you go easy on the butter. 

1 comment:

  1. After watching Monty Python's Flying Circus, I don't want to eat anything that has the word "Surprise" in its name! Otherwise, it sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete